...details that make a difference

Monday, January 7, 2013

What Matter's Most


It is the New Year,  time for change and reflection of the years past, and the years to come.  2012 was filled with much success, new learnings and inspirations.  My family was blessed this year with the opportunity to gather for a family reunion, the entire side of my mother’s family together.  A complete four generations under one roof bringing in the New Year.. It was fun to see what family traits got passed on to certain people as some sat in the piano room making music the rest helped set the table and finish the meal. As we sat down to dinner, at a long makeshift table, it was truly indearing to see my Grandpa with a slight twinkle in his eye as he looked at all of us.  The lively room filled with laughter, stories, and a usual bit of family drama.. It didn't matter that some of us have never even met before.  With new marriages and children being added to the group over the past few years, a unknown friend easily became a loved family member in this setting.  As usual there was no shortage of food.  Grandpa carved the crown roast of pork, my dad carving the bacon wrapped turkey, my mother serving the twice-baked potatoes, and my aunt the sugar glazed carrots.  The food was simple and delicious.  Although, I think we could have served oatmeal and it would have been just as entertaining.
Grandpa Ray Carving the Crown Roast

I remember stopping in the kitchen amidst the bustle to help feed that many people. Taking a step back to slow down and really take in how much I appreciated cooking with my family.  I listened harder to the stories and realized that this moment with everyone will most likely never happen again.  As people move on with their lives in different directions and heath continues to slip away from others, I am reminded how precious our time here is and what truly matters in the bigger picture of life.  Food is tasty and fills our stomachs, but the time spent with the ones we love is why we eat to live.

The Gilgenbach Family




No comments:

Post a Comment